Monday, August 2, 2010

Nauvoo Trip 2010

We haven't been to Nauvoo since Christmas 2007, but we haven't been to the Nauvoo pageant since I was pregnant with Graigry. They've totally changed the pageant since we last saw it so I was excited to see it again and to be there with Grant and Stephanie was a bonus.

The Scott family left around 6 am, with the hope that the kids would sleep some of the trip there. Some did. Grant and Stephanie didn't leave until around 10 Indy time. We were just outside of Carthage when they left.

Carthage was wonderful. It was the same movie and same tour, but I enjoyed feeling the spirit and the sister missionary that gave the tour maybe gave more of the history or something about the people who lived in the jail and others that surrounded the event in Carthage. Maybe it was the fact that the kids were older and I knew they would understand and feel more. We sang a hymn in the downstairs jail, which they didn't do before. Sitting up in the room where they were martyred was special again. I love the feeling in that room. And to see the original door with the bullet holes and to know that Joseph and Hyrum were willing to give their lives for the cause, and they didn't have any fear. They had a testimony and sure knowledge of the gospel and there was nothing they had to fear. They had earned their reward.

Scott kids with Brothers Joseph & Hyrum

In front of the upstairs cell.
Can you imagine being there when it got to be over 100 degrees?
The straw and mattress saved John Taylor's life.

On our way to Nauvoo from Carthage I asked the kids what they felt in Carthage and why they felt that. Xela and Aurora were able to feel and recognize the spirit. I hope they younger ones felt something, even if they didn't know exactly why or what.

We stopped in Nauvoo for lunch, fudge and ice cream before going to the hotel in Keokuk, Iowa. We ate lunch at the Nauvoo City Park east of the temple. There were some swings, teeter-totters and a slide so the kids were able to run around a little after such a long ride.



We went to the Walmart across the parking lot to get food for Sunday and a few extra snacks until we could check in and then we hung out in the hotel for a little while and went swimming. We were swimming when Grant and Stephanie arrived.

At five we went to Pizza Hut's buffet for dinner before heading over to Nauvoo. Nate loved driving over the Mississippi River. Now every river we cross when we drive somewhere, he thinks it's the Mississippi. It's kind of cute.

Now the last pageant I went to was like all the other pageants, where it's actors going along with a pre-recorded script. That's what I was expecting. It's SO much better. With the updated pageant, it's more like a broadway play. The main actors have microphones and a script that they've had to memorize. The old pageant, I walked away feeling "okay??? So...." Now, they have been able to tie in family, Book of Mormon, temples, community, sacrifice, prophets and other gospel subjects. It was amazing!!! I loved it when they lite up the Nauvoo temple and had a quote played by President Hinckley about Brigham Young's temple and Joseph's temple as book ends. I hadn't realized how much I missed President Hinckley.

Anyway, before the pageant...

I was used to going to a pageant, spreading out a blanket and trying to keep the kids entertained and controlled for a few hours prior to the start. The pageant has chairs set up, so we didn't need blankets and we sat close enough that we were able to see faces and expression on the actors' faces.

Before the pageant started, they had a "parade"
to help gather everyone to the stage.
We were singing the Star Spangled Banner
 before the opening prayer.
Now, at the Nauvoo pageant, they have a county fair with things for the families to do while they wait for the pageant to start. After each activity, kids get a bead to put on a string and eventually make a bracelet. The first activity was watching a puppet show and in addition to the bead, they gave away sock puppets. There was quilt tying, head band braiding, potato sack racing, hand cart pulling, tug-o-war, woodcutting races. Here are some of the pictures.

Picking out strings and wood buttons to make a top
Stephanie and Grant trying to make the tops work.
It took some practice and even then it was hard.
You had to strike the right tension with the right rhythm.
Aurora making her braided headband.
Nate being helped by the sister at the wood cutting race.
I think she was asking him about getting a bead or a new ribbon for the beads.
Xela and Ro cutting a log.
They did pretty good; only buckling the saw twice.
Hibberts beat the Scotts in the race between the marrieds.
Xela and Aurora pulling their siblings off into the sunset.
Grant pulled Steph, Eric pulled me.
We were told not to run, so...
 the men folk walked quickly in another race.

Eric's the one in the blue.
My phone doesn't take the best of pictures.

It was such fun. Grant and Eric were on opposite sides of the tug of war. Eric's side won both times, mostly because BIG guys came up late and pulled on his side. There was a close one, but again, a huge beast of a man joined Eric's side and they won at last pull.

I love the kid handcart picture. Can you just see them walking off into the sunset across the Mississippi?

As I mentioned the pageant was absolutely wonderful. If we could have afforded the time and money, I would have gone and seen it again the following week and brought friends. We left there and got to the hotel close to midnight. A couple of the kids had fallen asleep and so we quickly and quietly got all the kids to lay down on one queen sized bed.

Five little monkeys sleeping in one bed.
Luckily none of them fell out and bonked their head.
They were asleep within a few minutes and by then, Grant and Stephanie were back (Grant knew one of the actors) and so Eric and I went to their room to visit for awhile.

We had to leave Sunday afternoon, so decided to hit some of the Nauvoo sites before going to church at two.

Updated picture of the kids infront of the memorial.
Last time, Neta was in an infant car seat.
She wasn't in a good mood that morning.
After church at two, we went to the brickyard, so that Stephanie could get a Nauvoo brick. Eric stayed in the car because Neta was asleep so I took the kids in with the Hibberts. The tour room was air conditioned - something different than 2007. Then again, it was winter and so we met in where they make the bricks which was a warm room. Apparently them make all the give away bricks in the winter. Just a little something I learned.

After the brickyard, we loaded up remaining kids in the car, said good byes, exchanged hugs and we headed on our six hour drive to Indianapolis. Grant and Stephanie continued their trip west Monday morning.

It was SOOOO great to have that extra day, to be with them a little longer. Grant and I, being bookends of the family, kind of like two different generations, didn't have a whole lot of things in common growing up, so it was good to share a memory and experience together. I carry a love, respect, and admiration for him and the way he's lived his life and I know will continue to live his life with his own family.

It was a great family week and it was a great family weekend. Time and memories I will cherish always with my forever family.

No comments:

Post a Comment