Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pumpkin Carving

As I've been going through the pictures, I realized that I had these from the aftermath of pumpkin patch. Usually I let the kids color their pumpkins so that I can cut them up and make the fruit of teh pumpkin useful for cookies, pies, breads, etc. I'd let them draw what they wanted to carve a few weeks before (the same day that Graigry ended up going to the ER from slashing his eybrow open).

They'd been asking and ASKING if they could carve them, so I finally let them.

They had a good time. Can't say the same thing for the pumpkins.

I tried to cut the lines out as best as I could.
Graigry is trying to cut the top off here.
Xela going at her pumpkin

It looks like an anime cartoon.
I love the mischevious look in Nate's eyes.

Butching the pumpkin
You'll notice the glass bowl. Graigry's pumpkin didn't last long. He let me and helped me cut his pumpkin into smaller pieces so I could microwave them, take off the husk and blend the flesh so it was ready for pumpkin treats.

Aurora didn't like having to pick out the seeds.
I wasn't going to do it for her.
I think next year we will stick to drawing on them. Because I was working, I didn't get around to chopping, nuking, blending and freezing all the pumpkiny goodness. They started to mold and we threw them in the back garden. I got Graigry's done and then after another month of sitting on the front porch, I got the monster pumpkin Eric picked out and got the majority of it done before it had to become compost.

I bet we have some volunteer pumpkins next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment