Sunday, June 16, 2019

April Announcements & Adventures

April, as most months, has gone by too quickly. As I searched my photos, I realized I hadn't taken as many pcitures as I usually do, especially considering the visitors we had this month. Xela and Trevor came out April 12-15.

We were excited to meet Trevor, the boy who will be our son-in-law before the year's out, assuming all things go as Xela, and Trevor, would like it to.  ;) They flew into Indy around 2:30 and I walked in from work to an empty living room with noise coming from the kitchen. As I stepped into the kitchen, Trevor got up and came to give me a hug while Xela dried her hands from doing dishes (she knows what I like done in the kitchen).

The objective of the trip was to meet the family and for Trevor to ask Eric for Xela's hand in marriage. They were to fly out Monday afternoon and it took until Sunday evening to find the right time to sit and talk with Eric.

Saturday was spent painting one of our rentals, Trevor being a good sport and helping out to get things done and encouraging the kids to finish the project when they were ready to quit. We had a cookout with the Dunahees, the family that Xela was most desperate to see and to whom for Trevor to meet. We hadn't had a cookout with them in a year, so it was good to have them, just a small group.

Sunday we went to church and Bishop called out Xela's friend from the pulpit when he gave her the Young Women's medallion which she'd earned before leaving for school. Trevor tagged along with us to Neta's setting apart for her Beehive calling, Graigry's setting apart for Teacher's Quorum and then went to Elder's Quorum. Xela and I then went to Relief Society (which was a joke). She and I whispered the whole time about how to find a time for Trevor to talk to Eric.

Bishop Youth Council was after church so Xela and Trevor came home with us. We worked together to prepare an early Easter dinner. I very much enjoyed watching Xela and Trevor interact as they prepared carrots and potatoes. Xela found a way to get Eric into the living room to chat so that he, in theory, would realize or be told about how she and Trevor had been thinking through things as regards getting married at a young age. I could see the stress on Trevor's face as he knew what needed to happen before leaving for Idaho and not knowing how that would all play out. I enjoyed talking to him, getting to know him a little better and explain a little about our family. Kids came home before Trevor and Eric had an opportunity to chat.

Long story short, after getting kids in their bedrooms Sunday night (Graigry and Aurora were in the living room) and I was upstairs to read scriptures with Neta, the three important parties ended up in the kitchen. I hear Nate say, "Mom, they're having the talk." Huh? "They're having the talk." OH!!! I went to the stairs and eavesdropped for several minutes, Aurora joining me for a bit and then I stopped - WAIT, I'm a parent! I can go downstairs! And down I went.

Basically, Eric's said to them, and he had been thinking about this over the last few days knowing this conversation was the purpose of the trip, that if they had pondered and prayed about it and felt that their marriage was something they should do, who was he to say no. Then we talked logistics of the wedding. There was no ring, but I had an engaged daughter. Wow!

So, with that major event now in the "Scott history book," let's put some pictures out here for April.

After Easter Sunday, we all hung outside for a few hours. It was SO BEAUTIFUL outside, sunshine for the first day in what seemed like weeks. We wanted to absorb the Vitamin D and some of us, including myself, got the first sunburn of the season. While the absorption took place, Aurora decided that Eric needed his toes painted. Eric was a good sport about the whole thing, laying in his gravity chair letting his daughters (Neta got in on it) give him a pedicure. He asked us to cut his toenails, but that no one wanted to do. We used little twigs between his toes instead of those cushioning things. It was a good time.






And, because I'm writing about this in June instead of April, I can tell you that as of a few days ago, there was still paint on his big toenail. :) Eric is a good sport.

On April 26 the boys were on a campout and Aurora was working so Eric and I decided to take Neta to the temple to do baptisms for the first time. She had been waiting to go since January when President Nelson said the age for temple attendance was lowered to those turning 12 in the current year. She finally received her worthiness interview, Eric renewed his temple recommend and we went. I love being in the temple with my family.



The temple grounds are so beautiful
Can't wait to go with all the kids. April was the last month of regular school schedule and routine. May is the month of wind-down, tests, programs and school burn-out. This also means more pictures than April! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment