Wednesday, November 4, 2009

11 Years and Counting

Because we love DC so much, and due to a conveniently timed work conference, Eric and I spent our 11th anniversary in Maryland. He was in a meeting all day October 15, so I watched more television than I have in years, tried to go to the pool but it was locked, hit the treadmill and the bike, did some young women stuff and surfed the internet from the club lounge until Eric was done around five thirty. We went to dinner at a place close and then went back to the hotel and watched a movie.


Thursday morning Eric had another meeting out of the hotel, so I did some of the same stuff, but got to the pool before ten and didn't watch as much television. Eric was back by two and we hit the Metro to go downtown DC. Unlike last time when we enjoyed such wonderful weather, it was chilly and wet. We didn't walk the mall and it was too late for a tour of the capital so I decided I wanted to see the Smithsonian of American History. I got to see Dorthy's ruby slippers, Kermit the Frog, some instruments, a Dumbo ride from Disneyland, but my favorite part was walking through the wing dedicated to Abraham Lincoln.

It was a bit emotional for me, especially when you first walk in and see THE hat that he was wearing the night he was shot. Later on there is a cuff or bandage or something that has stains on it from his blood. There are two face masks, one at the begining (with a mold of his hand) and one at the end of his presidency. Being the president really ages you quickly. There are quotes and life sketch paragraphs on the wall retelling or accounting something from his early life through the end of his presidency, all helping you better know the great Lincoln (you've got a lot to aspire too Graigry!). The one life scene I took a picture of I liked because it showed that he did what work was available, I felt. He worked at what others might think menial and below them, but he worked, never aspiring to a grand position or even thinking that a little country boy would end up saving a nation.




 Across the hall was an American Presidents and artifacts section. It had a wall timeline of presidents, pictures and names, their years in office and some event tied to their presidency. In the next "room," you could vote on who you thought was the most effective or efficient president out of I think it was five. There were different uniforms, dresses, toys, pictures, desks and other stuff from those living in the White House. There was one place where you could pick the inauguration and stand in as president. I think this one was JFK's. One day Love (then again, I really don't want to be a first lady)!

The Smithsonian closed at 5:30 so we left and tried to get something to eat. We tried "The W" which had a decent view of the white house, moreso if it wasn't so overcast, but it also felt more upscale and had a bar type atmosphere, so we left after browzing. We headed up a few blocks to another restaurant, but there was a 45 minute wait. They told us to check another place a few blocks away. There wasn't a bad wait, but I didn't feel like paying $15-$20 for a plate of food. Finally we decided to catch the Metro, go back to the hotel and eat there. By the time we got back to the hotel, I think it was between eight and nine. We were tired and hungry.

We left Saturday afternoon on a direct flight to Indy, so we weren't able to get back to downtown DC this trip. There is so much to see and do. I can't wait to take the kids, when they are older and will appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment