Monday, December 28, 2009

Candy Construction

We have kept the Hibbert tradition of building candy houses around Christmas time. Instead of the frosted binding of the graham cracker walls, I used melted sugar and only burnt myself twice (an improvement from last year). After construction, I evenly divided the candy I had left over from halloween and what I had saved from other events. Around four o'clock, Patrice, JT and Jayden arrived with a few more goodies and we sat around the table and exterior decorated the houses.

 Builders hard at work







 Additional construction materials



"We can't just eat this stuff now? Why not?"



Jayden sat for a minute but decided the toys upstairs would be more fun than not eating candy, so Patrice decorated their house. Neta was more into eating the bag of sugary goodness in front of her than putting it on a graham cracker box. I managed to get some smarties and a cookie door on, but that was about all that she would permit.

"You did such a good job, Mommy!"



"The candy is for eating. See?! Not decorating.
Crazy grown ups."



I think the kids did a pretty good job. Unfortunately the icing was runnier than Patrice and I remembered Mom's being, even though I used Mom's recipe, so some things slid and had to be held in place for a bit. They construction was completed on Monday ...






...and demolition was finished by Thursday (Xela's house lasting the longest).







2 comments:

  1. The icing may have been runny initially, but when it was dry, it was permanent. I built Jayden's house and I think I've eaten more of Jayden's candy house than him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and I managed to make a house too. Addie just wanted to eat the gumdrops. And Mike decided it should be a Michigan State house and had a great big State "S" on the roof! :)
    I cant believe how big the kids are getting!

    ReplyDelete