Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Christmas 2009

So it's the middle of January and I'm finally posting about Christmas. That's okay. I"ve been busy with Young Womens and we are making some progress on the house. I don't take a lot of free time, but since the hot water is down and I can't do laundry or dishes, I thought I'd do a little blogging.

In case you're wondering why the hot water is down, we're are installing a tankless hot water heater. Our big one has been leaking for a few months so a friend from the ward is installing it for us in exchange for a palette and a half of shingles that we gave him. He's replaced the intake valve for the water shut off and run new pex (tube piping for the water). The old pipes were a bit corrodid (I think I spelled that wrong).

ANYWAY....
 
This year they were really good at making presents for each other, which we let them open Christmas eve. Earlier in the month, Eric and I heard hammering upstairs and were a little curious about what was going on. After a "what are you doing up there?" we were told they were making presents. That's one way to get rid of the extra wood! Graigry, who didn't really take time to build anything, when he saw presents under the tree for his siblings and realized that he hadn't put anything under the tree, ran upstairs and put some of his toys in plastic bags. One for Neta and one for Nate. Sometimes he can be so sweet and thoughtful.

Gifts from the heart

Graigry's = boat for action figures (from Xela)
Nate's = wood fan writing thing (from Ro)
Neta's = stuffed dog (from Graigry), wood house and doll blanket (from Ro)

In keeping with Hibbert tradition, the kids had to be up and dressed, rooms cleaned, parents up and everyone fed before presents could be opened.  We usually make french toast, sausage, eggs and have oj and are done somewhere around ten o'clock.

After breakfast, we let them dig into their stockings. Eric hung them Christmas Eve. Last year we nailed them to the stairs, so the kids wanted to do it again this year. It's as convenient a place as any, so we did. They are more or less standing under their stocking. They thought about laying on the stair above their stocking, but we over ruled that idea.
The stockings were hung by the stairway with care



 TANGERINES!!!


Clementines have become a Scott stocking tradition.

After stockings, we had the kids sit down on either the couch or chairs. Santa was good at dividing the presents and putting them in piles in front of the Christmas tree so we let each kid have a turn. They also took turns opening the family presents. With the little three we had to emphasize that they were opening FAMILY presents, something to SHARE and it wasn't THEIRs to keep. I had bought a small feeder fish and it was in the one gallon tank behind all the other family presents. It took them a minute to realize they had a pet and then they got excited. We went through a nomination and voting process to come up with a name. Treasure Kat, which they abbreviated and called TK. Unfortunately, TK died two weeks later and I have since replaced it with a betta fish. We have not named the thing yet though there are a few swimming around the house (I'm pulling for Mr Fish or Cat Bait).

MORE LINCOLN LOGS
"These are for EVERYONE to SHARE"


Back on topic.

The kids had fun unwrapping their gifts. Santa didn't realize that he'd brought two of the same lego set for the boys, but hey! Now Graigry can't say that they are all his. Xela got sewing stuff as that has become a hobby of her's and I was tired of always having to go get my needle and tread and find scrap material for her. I made her a little bag to keep everything in, which when she saw me finishing it on Christmas Eve, decided to start making herself one. Luckily mine was a little more sturdy and complete by Christmas morning.


Xela uses her sewing stuff to make Corduroy more clothes.

Aurora's dolly is fun for Neta too, who...

...got her own "Princess Neta" doll.

Graigry's lego plane that...

Nate got too!!
(Santa should take better notes)
Eric made Graigry the plane and I made Nate the Helicopter.

Here are some other assorted pics.

PUT 'EM UP!
Mittens disguised as boxing gloves


Monster Truck Race
(from Great Grandma Staude)



Blendy Pens. It took a while to figure them out,
but the girls had fun once they did.


After lunch and toy time, we went to the Robinsons and spent Christmas night playing games and munching on Christmas goodies

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you had a good Christmas. We really like the idea of having the kids make presents for their siblings, that's thoughtful and encourages unselfishness. We are going to have to use some Christmas traditions for our family that we have seen you guys do. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such Fun! Makes me miss you guys! Really hoping you come visit us! :)

    ReplyDelete