Friday, October 29, 2010

Summer on Wheels


Since the bike ride to Louisville, we Scotts have been more on our bikes. Xela earned $40 this summer to buy the new bike we found on craigslist. Aurora got Xela's old bike. Graigry got Aurora's old bike and we spray painted it white because he didn't want a purple girl bike. I wrote, on each side, "GHOST" on the main bar and drew some ghosts then wrote "oooo...OOO...ooo." Graigry thought it was the coolest thing.

Nate and Neta now wanted something to ride. We have two small, I think 12 inch wheel bikes that Nate and Graigry had been using. Nate needs the same size as Graigry and wanted something "new." About three weeks ago I took Aurora's other old pink bike that had a tube hanging out from the tire and decided I would fix it. I knew how to do it thanks to the bike trip. I got it rideable (there's a bump in the tire that I haven't tried to fix), bought some training wheels and Nate was ready to ride. Neta has the little "Rockit" bike which is a perfect fit for her.

We have gone on two bike rides to the church and Nate and Graigry have made it both times.  I was so proud of them the first time. The second time as well, but the first time I wasn't sure if we'd end up retreating or carrying a bike while putting it's rider in the trailer with Neta. Neta would like to ride her bike, but we all know she would not make it around the block.

Last Saturday, October 23, I wanted to go on a family bike ride. I knew Xela wanted to go on a ride and that the others would like the idea so Eric agreed to take the kids to the Monon Trail and go for a ride. We started out on 16th Street and made it to 38th. That's where I decided I would turn back with the three younger riders. Xela and Eric pulling Neta went up to 62nd and then turned around to try to catch up with us.

The way back took twice as long as the way up. Graigry and Nate both whined about their legs and being tired and "how much longer?" Nate who usually keeps up, had to be motivated to pedal. They both picked up speed when we played Tire Tag: "Bet you can't touch my tire!" "Oh you almost got it!" That worked twice and then the novelty wore off. Aurora did great. She was leading the group and was very good at stopping at all the cross streets so we could catch up. She got more rest than poor Nate. (I got an idea of what it was like for the back pack of kids and their leaders on the ride to Louisville.)

I stopped a few times and showed the kids some stretches. We'd get to a cross street and I'd say something about how many more blocks we had to go. Finally, FINALLY we got back to 16th Street. They rode their bikes to the big green van, hopped off and ran to play on the train car that is stationed at that park. Eric and Xela were only five to ten minutes behind.

After two Friday nights out and temple trips, it was nice to have some family time. Nate and Neta have been riding their bikes in the driveway. Neta asks to ride her bike every day. Unfortunately, it's now getting to cold to ride for very long (imagine that, end of October and it's too cold!). Can't wait until next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment