Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A "White" Christmas

The weather was supposed to be wet and drizzly on Christmas day, so Eric and I made snowflakes and hung them in the living room for Christmas morning.
It's SNOWING!!
Christmas morning, we got up around 8ish and made breakfast. Typically I ask the kids to get dressed before breakfast and presents, but I let Xela and Ro stay in pajamas. Ro loves her footies, so I figured for one Christmas morning, I'd let it slide.

For breakfast we had french toast, egg uglies, orange juice and BACON!! I bought bacon on Christmas Eve when we went grocery shopping because we never have bacon and Christmas breakfast was the perfect excuse to indulge. Much to my surprise, Nate doesn't like bacon. Much not to my surprise, Eric isn't a fan either. Just meant more for us!!

After breakfast, we moved to the living room and began sorting presents. Eric had put the new blankets that Sister Ault had made on the couches and floor as present placement areas.

Once presents were on their designated blankets, we started the opening of presents. Karen and Miles came over, uninvited, but the kids were excited to see Grandpa,  and stayed for the opening of all the gifts. Here are some of the snapshots of the gift unveiling.
Grandma Hibbert sent some fall jackets in Nov,
which I'd saved for Christmas
and since there isn't snow yet,
we put them over the stockings.
Xela opening Aurora's present to her:
a "Sisterhood is Forever" picture
using Disney sisters.
Graigry & Simba
Nate & Hiccup with Toothless.
Xela drew Disney pictures
for everyone.
When asked,
if she could only have one present,
what would it be,
Neta said a Nerf bow & arrow.
Ask and ye shall receive.
The "evil eye" in the photo is great!
She couldn't wait to try it out!
Such a serious face too!
Nate holding Aurora's picture to him (Nemo's sea turtle)
while patiently waiting to open his big present.
When asked what one present he wanted,
Nate said "A comforter."
I found a How to Train Your Dragon comforter (probably not what he was expecting) just for my Nate-nate. When he first opened it, his face was excited and then turned to a bit confused, "What is it?" I had to remind him what he had initially asked for and then when he saw it was Toothless, he thought it was cool. 
New colored pencils!
NEW SKIRT!
Ro has been very slim on skirts, so I found
two at Goodwill - one black, one white.
A present for Scott Boys
so they opened it together. 
Playing with their Hexbug - beetles
The bugs became even cooler when the boys discovered the bugs changed direction when they bumped into something or when they heard a clapping noise. Sooo COOL! They also received some "transformer" Hex nano bugs and a "battle arena." Hex bugs can be fun to watch...come alive....
Xela attempting to condense
her smaller gifts to make their transport
to the upper realms, easier.
Eric and I had discussed on Christmas Eve whether or not we should take the kids to "Box Trolls" at the dollar theater, the only one now is in Greenwood, a twenty minute drive. I looked up times and on Christmas Day, the first showing was at 11:55. At 11:15 Eric said we had to go, instructed all the kids to change (that was just for Xela and Ro who were still in pjs), get shoes on and get in the van. 

We kept the kids guessing where we were going. First we said we were going to the temple, that everything was already waiting for us at a hotel and that I got that all ready on Tuesday when I said I was staying late at work. Then we said we were heading to the Aults; they live in Greenwood. We approached the theater, but went into a bank parking lot because we missed the street. Kids were confused until they saw the theater. Upon such realization, there was a bunch of  "I knew it!" coming from the backseat.
The three youngest wanted to sit
in the front row. I said I would too,
until I sat down and my neck
felt kinked within moments.
Xela was the most excited.
She's wanted to see "Box Trolls" for weeks.


When we got home from the movie, we opened gifts at Grandparents' Scott house, then came home to make some pies before eating Christmas dinner. After dinner, we watched Despicable Me 2 (a gift from our friend Patience Gaydos) and then we helped clean up and head back home for the night.

I think the kids all enjoyed their Christmas. I enjoyed getting things ready for them and am grateful for online shopping where I can have things shipped to work where they can hide out until the big day. I'm grateful for kids that are happy with what they receive, even if it's not that much. I'm grateful to have the next few days off to be with my family. I enjoying sharing Christmas break with my kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment