Sunday, September 2, 2018

May Memories

May had many moments worth remembering, some of them rites of passage.

Mormon Prom 

Mormon Prom happened on Saturday May 5 this year. Xela has been the two years previous, but this year decided, maybe advertised that she would not be going. Both years prior, part of the prom date was coming back downtown to Herron High School so that she could perform with the jazz band (required performance). Understandably, she didn't want to do that again this year.

Aurora did not have that same conflict. She and her friend Leo (that's not his real name - I think it's Daniel or David, something with a D - but that's what he is called among his group of friends, from a book series they all like) went to the dance. I'll spare you the backstory drama. You're welcome. He came to pick her up with his dad as chauffeur (neither Ro nor Leo has their license), we took pictures and they were off for the evening.

Putting on the corsage
(Ro forgot the boutineer - kind of on purpose -
backstory drama)
Smile pretty for the camera!
Having fun with the camera
And then someone, maybe my mother-in-law, suggested pictures with the moms. No one told me I was going to be in photos, so you may want to avert your eyes. ;)
I'd been working around the house all day;
probably smell like a lawn mower

PARAMOUNT PROMOTION

Then comes the educational advancements. First was Graigry's "promotion" is what they called it, on May 16, even though they had the whole walk into the gym with the 'Pomp & Circumstance' playing. They gave out individual awards and promotion certificates. Wa-hoo. Ridiculous, but you go because it's your kid and they want to be there. We got there late so had to stand the entire time because Paramount School of Excellence did their promotion in the cafeteria/gym which is not very big.

When we were finally released, we took a picture, because why not.

Even at a distance,
you can tell Graigry's not smiling
(he doesn't like his posed smile)

HHS Graduation

A week later, a "real" graduation at Herron High School. Our Xela Liseth graduated high school. When you have a child, you know these milestones are on their way and you want to be there for them, but they come so quickly!! Sometimes you just wish time would stop or at least slow down for a little bit.

They held their graduation at the Murat Theater (also now called the Old National Center) downtown. I'd never been in the theater before so that was new and, the Foggs, whose daughter was also graduating, gave us some saved balcony seats they's won because they didn't need all ten they were given. Sweet!! More of a bird's eye view of the production.

The Venue
The Waiting
(I caught Graigry smiling!!)
Aurora sat with the choir as they were singing as part of the program and this made her happy because that meant she got to sit with friends.

The school gave each graduate a red rose, which each graduate held as they walked into their seats. There were some good speeches by peers, administrators and guest speaker, who was a former mayor or governor of Indy (Bart Peterson I think). I liked the advice he gave the students about not painting yourself in a corner because you don't think you're good at something - try it, practice and see how it goes because you never know what you'll discover about yourself if you do. When all that pomp and circumstance was over, we found Xela and her high school buddies, with their parents, and took some pictures.

Xela and Caleb
Xela's high school gang
Ella, Weidong, Collin, Megan, Xela, Karla and Caleb
Xela and Collin
(also known as "not a boyfriend #1
who became boyfriend #1 after graduation)
I wasn't going to leave there without a picture of Xela with her best friend and buddy since the age of two, Max Dunahee.
(their mothers would really like it if they got together)
Xela will be starting classes out west at BYU Idaho on September 17. The sweet baby I held in my arms a few blinks ago has grown up into a wonderful young adult, changing the lives of all those she meets.

Tents & Targets

The last week of May had a few picture worthy moments. One night was warm enough that we let Nate and Neta sleep outside in the tent. Because we now have a gate around the yard, I don't feel like I have to sleep out there with them. When I went to wake them up, this is what I found:

I love that they are buddies
Later that afternoon (May 25th by the way), Eric was trying out his new pressure washer and decided the kids needed rinsing off. They were willing participants as well.


This reminded me of a time, when Nate was 18 months old, after we had helped with a neighborhood project and he was sitting, fully clothed, in a kiddie pool, so I had to take a similar picture (sadly the original is not easily available).



Kayaking Fun

Memorial Day - no school and no work so I told the kids we would help Dad with a work project and then we would go kayaking. Eric says we don't have time to do frivolous things and he's got to make money and I say that we also need to do recreational activities as a family (yes I pulled out The Family: A Proclamation to the World to prove that wholesome recreational activities are part of our religion).

We got a later start than hoped for, but after spending over four hours at a construction site, and me getting chewed out in front of the kids for putting a screw in the wrong place (so much so that I almost walked off the site), we went kayaking. I wasn't going to not do something fun after such a day. We stopped by Sorensen's to borrow a smaller kayak so that Neta could have her own and then we loaded ours an headed to Broad Ripple Park.

It was good to be on the water...

My kayak crew
Neta happy in her own kayak
Nate handling his like a pro
Graigry avoiding the camera
"Really, Mom?"
Heading back to the beginning
 Sometimes it's also good to be IN the water...
Back at the dock
We kayaked two plus miles, enjoying an evening on the White River. 

No comments:

Post a Comment