Sunday, October 7, 2018

July Fun - the 4th and the Dunes

July was full of activities from scout camp, girls camp, trek and hanging out while the others were gone. That's a quick recap; here are the photographic representation of happenings at home while the others were away at youth events.

July 4th Fun
Tradition has been that we go to Highland Park, which is just east of I-65 and downtown and we watch the downtown fireworks. The boys were at scout camp and Eric is not a fan, so I took Aurora and Neta. Xela met us there as she was already hanging out with her boyfriend, Colin, who lives across the street from that park.

Playing Skipbo waiting for time to pass
Robinson Family showed up;
spent time playing with them.
I don't know what is happening here -
Ro tickling Xela? tackling Xela?
View of Downtown fireworks;
with Xela and Colin watching

Indiana National Lake Shore
A picture of me in Lake Michigan
While Aurora and Eric were at girls camp the week of July 9th through the 14th, I took two days off. That Tuesday, July 10, I decided to take the three younger kids to the Dunes. I wanted Xela to come, but she had to work.

We haven't been there in years and I've wanted to go. Eric doesn't think we need to drive three hours to go camping, and there is some truth to that, but I wanted to play in the water with the kids so we went when it wouldn't bother his schedule. 

We left home around six and were the first ones on the beach just before nine. We spent the day playing in Lake Michigan, on the beach, munching on food and cooking ourselves. Yes, we left much redder than we entered. We got home around 7, just in time for mutual and then went home to relax and realize how red and sore we were.
Unattended life guard chair
with a seagull lookout
Scotts are the first ones in the water

That log was used as a floating device for about an hour
sometimes as we swam out to the buoys.
Graigry wanted to be buried;
I made a shark...
...it even had sharp teeth and an eye
Graigry making his own lakeside pool
Nate & Neta found a little frog
Nate becomes a sandy lobster
More water fun;
We had a fun time jumping over the waves
More sandcastles and surf
My sandcastle creation
A sand princess

Beach Buddies
I loved watching the kids
play and smile together 


Here are a few videos from our fun that day.




 We pulled ourselves away from the sandy, watery goodness around 3:30 - 4:00 and headed back home. Due to construction, we got home a little later than I expected. We made a quick stop by the house and then headed to mutual. 
Nate's face nearly matched his shirt
This about sums up our feeling
upon return to Indy:
red and exhausted.
I can't wait to go there again and when that event comes, we will apply more sunscreen. I did it once, and put some on Nate and Neta. Graigry didn't want any because he "only tans." That night, we were all burned, and lay on the couches watching television and trying not to move, even after aloe vera was spread on tender skin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment