Sunday, February 2, 2020

August - School Starts & Wedding Bells


August was a BUSY month. Nate, Neta and Graigry all started school, of course. Aurora moved to Ball State and we officially gained a son-in-law.

AUGUST 5 - First day of school, I wanted to take pictures. Nate was the most compliant of the younger three, as you will be able to tell by their expressions.







AUGUST 14 - We now have two daughters in college and that's a little weird for me.

I took the day off so I could help Ro move in. She had packed the van and we headed on our way shortly after dropping off the other kids at school. We stopped at Walmart in Fishers to get some things for her. That was a much smoother and quicker process then when we went to the Walmart in Rexburg after dropping off Xela.

Ball State had a scheduled time for certain last names to move in and things went quite smoothly. We loaded the cart with Ro's stuff and headed into the dorm. Her roommate hadn't arrived yet, so we did a little rearranging and set up. Ro had met Emi via Ball State's roommate website and they had shared a lunch together, so they had an idea about what they were getting into with each other. Hopefully it all works out this year.




Emi and Aurora
A week after she started school, we headed out west for Xela and Trevor's sealing. Stan and Alma Dame had a small motor home that they weren't using, had purchased early in the spring, and were lending us to travel. I had rented a mini-van for pick up, but this motor home was SO MUCH better! It took some frustration in getting it prepped and packed, but after work on August 29th, around 7 (because we had to make two quick round trips back to the house), we locked the house doors, put Opal in the vehicle and headed out west.
Borrowed transportation
Beautiful sunset


As is our usual, we drove through the night taking shifts. We found out interesting things about our mobile home, like there was a leak in the gas line somewhere and that the toilet's dump tank didn't really exist. At one gas station, the station was closed, so while I pumped gas Eric dumped his insides. When he flushed, Nate (who was out walking around with Opal) and I heard a splat! I told Eric after he came out and he took a peak under the bathroom. A little surprise was left for whoever opened that morning. Sorry!

Kids did homework, were on phones and enjoyed the novelty of the mobile home. I think we stopped to sleep for a little bit and then kept going, goal was to get to Castle Rock Friday afternoon. I think we made it there between four and six, Mountain Time.

Doing homework - sort of
"When can I get out of this thing?"



"Please, Heavenly Father, let this constantly
moving piece of equipment soon come to a stop."
Nate wanted a change of locations


"Fine, I'll endure the best I can."
Opal always got excited when we stopped for gas because that meant she got out and walked around. This became her designated chair. I don't think she slept much our first night. Kids loved having her with us and I WISH I would have got Xela's reaction on video.

After we pulled up to the Ellis home, Graigry stayed back with Opal and the rest of us went in. Someone told Xela there was something she needed to see in the motor home or something, so she came out and then Graigry let Opal out. "OPAL!!!" They both were on the ground for some much needed solid ground and fur baby loving.

We packed the Ellis vehicles with wedding stuff and took it to the church so that Saturday, while we were at the sealing, Lisa's friends would have what they needed to set up. So grateful for friends that were willing to help us out and make things beautiful (pictures below).

Aurora was flying out so that she wouldn't miss her Friday class (teacher only allows for two absences the entire semester and one would be the Wednesday of our trip back) so she was picked up along with Xela's friend/wedding photograph on Friday night. I went along for that ride with Kristin and Xela. I sat in the back and they talked in the front most of the time. I think I was asked to come along so I could engage in conversation with Ro because Xela didn't engage much with me.

Once we got back, there was a bridal shower in the works. Dunahees had traveled across the U.S. to be at Xela's sealing and had made it to Colorado that evening. Michelle got to the shower about the same time that we pulled in from the airport. Graigry went hiking with Todd Ellis, Eric and Nate relaxed in the motor home, one not wanting to go hiking and one too tired to go. There weren't a lot of people at the shower, but that was okay. We had eyebrows done, fingernails painted, hands waxed (which I did not do) and Xela opened a few gifts.


Saturday morning was prep and then divide up for travel.



Nate surfing his phone after breakfast

Sisters-in-law doing the hair
The happy couple before getting
in their car to head to Ft Collins
The Denver temple was closed, so the next closest was Ft Collins, Colorado. Xela, Trevor, Aurora and the photographer friend drove together. Eric and I drove with Todd and Lisa Ellis and then Kristin drove those unendowed childrens up later.

It took about two hours to get there and when we pulled in we found members of my family waiting for us. Mom, Dad, Tiffanie with nursing Peter, Neil, Bekah and Matt had made a nine hour excursion to be there. It was great to see them.
Aurora with cousin Peter Wride

Xela and Trevor making introductions
with the little cousin

Uncle Eric having fun on the floor...

...as did Xela
Xela was supposed to get in her wedding dress to take some pictures before the sealing, but by the time we made it to the temple (thank you construction) after the changing there wouldn't have been much time for the pictures before having to change into temple clothes for the sealing. So they took pictures in their street clothes, many of which turned out just fabulous.




Red tongues from the slurpees
the had on the way up

I LOVE the SMILES


This is so them! Goofballs!
We headed inside, parents with the bride and groom, and the rest of the guests did what they wanted until about 2:30 or 3 (I think the sealing was at 3:30). We waited in the hall/interior lobby area while Xela and Trevor had their records checked and selected their witnesses and waited for the sealing before their's to arrive. Due to the construction, the bride had arrived but not the groom (which caused her to begin crying - we were sitting across the hall from her). Groom finally did arrive, but it put the sealings about 30 minutes behind schedule. Little did we know that Heavenly Father was watching out for us.

After I went in with Xela to help her with whatever she needed to change, she went out with the matron or matron's assistant to met Trevor to go do the short veil and sit in the celestial room while we went to the waiting area. The other party had a ton of people and were there waiting too. After about 20 or so minutes they left and we were told it would be another 20 or so minutes before it would be time for Xela's sealing. It gave me a chance to visit with my family and for the Dunahees to arrive. Eric kept leaving the waiting room so that he could call and check to see where they were. The construction had delayed their travel as they had only planned just over an hour drive from Denver. I had sent Michelle a text about the construction, but she didn't get it until they were getting in the car. Once she saw the text, she had her kids be quiet and just pray that they would get to the sealing on time; they had driven across the country for this and didn't want to miss it. They walked in about 10 minutes before we were asked into the sealing room. Heavenly Father looks out for his children and helps them with their righteous desires. A miracle on wedding day.

The counsel and ordinance were beautiful. It was absolutely lovely to sit in the chair next to the couch where Trevor and Xela sat. They were so happy. Neil and one of Todd's good friends were the witnesses (Neil had to sign the certificate while we were in the waiting room and he made a few cracks at being nervous to sign such an important paper, having never done that before). There was so much love in that room it was amazing. There were hugs for the couple from everyone as they filed out of the room and then I went back with Xela to help her with anything she needed to get into her wedding dress. She is a pretty simple person so there wasn't too much too do. I was glad I had an extra bobby pin to help pull back a few hair strands, but after that she was good to go. I maybe should have brought a curling iron, but it didn't really matter. She was sealed to her true love and was ready to face the rest of the day with Trevor at her side.

Out side the temple, everyone was waiting. I came out of the doors first, the temple workers made sure the doors closed behind me, waited a minute and then Xela and Trevor came out.

I love the face when she sees the stand up of her maid of honor, best friend, Max Dunahee. He is on a mission in California and could not physically be here, so I made the next best thing I could (picture a little below).



A LOT of other pictures were taken at the temple. Below are just a few of my favorites.
Xela and Max

Bridesmaids
The whole group

Groomsmen & Bridesmaids
Family photo

Bride's Side

Bride's Siblings


Ellis & Scotts
Xela with her second mom


Xela's second family - Dunahees


White guy can jump


Lisa had ordered sub sandwiches for the party to eat as they were leaving the temple. There wasn't going to be time for a dinner and it was kind of late for lunch and we needed to hurry back for the reception, so this worked perfectly.

Sitting on a bench on temple grounds
Then it was back in the cars and back to Castle Rock for the reception. It was pretty much all done by the time we got there, just some tiny things to help with and the sound system that we couldn't really help with.

BOUQUETS

I made the bouquet with input regarding color and kind of flower with Xela. I took this first picture of her at the temple and then had to get one of each of the kids with the bouquets.




The girls had the bridal bouquet and the boys had the tossing bouquet.


CAKE
Here is a video of the cake cutting. :)



RECEPTION FUN
Lisa's friends had everything set up, with only a few final touches left. Afterwards it was a stress free delightful evening. With the Dunahees and my parents, Tiff, Beka and Neil who also came out it was party time! All enjoyed dancing, munching, the perfect weather, the toasts by the best man and "maid of honor." Max's was absolutely beautiful. Max had his prerecorded so his parents could play it while holding "him" up. Then he was tied to a post in the back to observe the festivities.







We were able to visit with Dunahees and family for about 45 minutes before people started showing up. Xela and Trevor exchanged rings and then shared thoughts with/to/about each other for those that weren't able to attend the temple and then the party began! I heard Trevor's older brother say that he had never been to such a fun reception. Aurora's response was that he'd never been to one with Hibberts. :)

Notice Morgan, Max's brother,
posing in the background
Xela visiting with three high school buddies
who made the drive from Indiana.
The couples "first dance"
(Xela without shoes)
Xela dancing with her second dad
Matt Dunahee


Time to toss the guarder and bouquet!



and the bouquet goes to...
MYYA DUNAHEE!!
She was so excited!

And I thought those were Ro's shoes...
Silly me, they are trumpets!
Nate waiting to be told what vehicle
would take him back home.

Xela and Trevor left under sparklers and bubbles around 9:30 and within 30 minutes, with all the help, everything was packed up and ready to haul to their various locations. I don't know about everybody else, but this was a perfect day. We were able to enjoy the temple, the ordinance, the people and everything in between. I hope all my children's weddings can be this wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment