Thursday, June 4, 2009

The sweet sounds of SILENCE!

Yes, it's ten o'clock and I'm updating my blog. Eric is out of town, again, and I have a moment of quiet time so, instead of finishing a quilt (I don't have a yarn sized needle) or remembering to fix the holes in Xela's clothes for which I do have the right sized needle ("Mom, this one has a hole in it." "Oh, I forgot.") I decided that I would have two really big bowls of Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream (there was too much in the box to each straight out of the box. Using a bowl makes finishing the box not as piggish, right?) and update my blog. It's like scrapbooking and that's often what I do when Eric is out of town, but with this I feel like I get more done in less time.

So, Eric was in Baltimore, Maryland from Tuesday to Friday (which turned into Saturday morning thanks to a delayed flight). He left for Evansville, Indiana Wednesday after dinner and gets back tomorrow afternoon/evening. I've learned something about myself and have shared it with Eric. I reach my kid limit around 8:30 on most days, especially on school nights. It seemed like end of last week and Monday and Tuesday of this week, I was DONE with kids and their whining, fighting, yelling, arguing, "MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY"-ing, diapering and everything else associated with children. My poor husband thought I was frustrated with him and in part, yes, I would like that he help gather the kids for scriptures and prayer and diaper changes and hustle them off to bed, but both Monday and Tuesday night, a neighborhood friend who is awesome, came by to talk shop. I understand that Eric needs updated and evening is the best time for Chris, but I was too tired to deal with the five monkeys in my zoo. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the sleep deprivation from the prior weeks remodeling activities and not getting to bed any time before midnight any night that week. Thankfully, I've been able to do a little catch up on sleep and house this week, which has helped.

My cabinets are up and polyeurethaned. I should start mudding, but I'm still too tired to do that. Maybe tomorrow, I'll mud the screws, maybe. I think I bought appropriate shelving today (this being the third trip to Lowe's for shelves) so that I can add a second shelf to each of my cabinets. Who puts just one shelf in a cabinet? I mean, really? Then I can get rid of the old wall cabinet that has been sitting on my floor for over a year. Hooray for progress!!

Xela is in soccer. We signed her up at the YMCA near us. She had two practices and now is just games on Thursdays from 6:30 to 7:30. I like just having it once a week, but the disadvantage is that there is little skill being taught. She is very much enjoying it, picked it over her grade's spring music concert tonight (first time I've had to be in two places at the same time; thank heavens for good friends/substitute moms). She has two more games and then will be done. She's a pretty good little goalie. Apparently, tonight, she was in goal and took a shot straight to the face and kept on going. I missed it, as did Emily, my substitute mom for the first half (I dropped Xela off before Emily got there), but she got a compliment from a dad of one of her teammates.

Hopefully I can find a more sophisticated league for next year that's close so she can learn things like passing and shooting. Ro wants to play too. It's not all the kids running around the ball in a huddle, but it's not too far from that. Mom and Dad will get to see Xela's last game when they come out for Aurora's baptism. Here are a few pictures from last week's game.




Last week's YW lesson was on temple marriage and I was teaching it as everyone else was not going to be there. I wanted to make it something that all the girls, no matter their family situation, would feel like they could attain that blessing. Our YW president had her daughter's wedding dress that I was able to borrow and have out for them to see. I had Xela's baptism dress and my temple dress, thinking I wanted to use the three white dresses poem, but that focuses more on baptism. I had those displayed, but I wanted to have a good hand out as a reminder to make temple marriage a firm and achievable goal. In my searching I found this great poem about a white hanger. I'll have to post it a little later as my computer isn't opening any word document at the moment.

Anyway, it was late Saturday night and I needed to make eight white hangers. Kmart had nothing as far as material or beads, so I called Michelle Dunahee and she, as usual, came to my rescue. She had two old white sheets she was getting rid of, some lace and white beads. PERFECT. I had plenty of white plastic hangers, so I started on my project. All the kids were asleep and I asked Eric if he wanted to help me. "Ahhh, No." But, the sweet thing that he is, he did sit down, size and cut material for each hanger, cut lace and beads and then, took the sewing machine from my side of the table and sewed the material in a fitted fashion around the hanger. He did a much better job than I did on my first two. I placed the lace on most of them and hand sewed them and the beads. While I was working on beads on one hanger, he started using the sewing machine to get the lace on in a quicker fashion and then I placed the beads over the stitches. Thanks to him I had a great hand out for the YW. He's such a super man!

Now that it's eleven o'clock and I've had some wind down and be me time, I think I'll go to bed. We're having a June birthdays birthday party on Saturday with three other families in our ward Dunahee's, Robinson's and Sorenson's each have at least two people in their families with birthdays in June. We will have a pool and cook out. It's become a June tradition for the last three or four years and this year I get to include Patrice in my June festivities as JT meets the June requirement. Hopefully this time, Jayden will come swim with us, although, it gets pretty crowded when all the kids get in.

1 comment:

  1. Eric is a superman! To know how to use a sewing machine (may not sound like a big deal to him or others, but that's just not something you see many men know how to do!). Way to go!

    I love how updated you keep your blog. Sorry we couldn't come Saturday. I do want to come by this week though if that works!

    ReplyDelete