Monday, September 28, 2009

Curse You, Canal!!

So, since I last wrote about the canal, I have been back, with the stroller and the kids. We enjoyed ourselves and I remembered to put on the brake when we fed the ducks. I have picture proof.

You can see some, what I call goldfish, in the water by Nate, if you look in the water.

We gone a couple times since then and had fun. Then one of the double stroller wheels started rubbing against the bar and making it very frustrating to rollerblade. The wheel acted as a brake and so I gave up on it and we took the single stroller that I use as a double, putting one behind the other, Nate usually sitting in front. It works pretty good.

So I thought I'd go today for a blade and we'd gone one side of one block by the Indiana Historical Society when Neta decided she didn't want to sit, so she stood up. We've done this before and not been a big deal, so I didn't fight her to hard. Not even one minute later, we came around a corner, hit a bump and out of the stroller she flew, stopping the fall by crashing her face into the concrete. She bled a lot and I was thankful that I thought to bring a water bottle and a towel (the towel to wrap up Nate's legs as it was very windy). He lip immediately swelled up and her gums looked nasty. Her teeth were still in place, thankfully, and she had some road rash on her chin. I held her and tried to get a watered towel on her lip to clean her off as much as possible, but it was difficult because she just cried. I sat there holding, comforting, cleaning her up for about 15 minutes there on the concrete. I wonder what other joggers and passersby thought.

We decided to come home and on the way, I called, three times, my friend and nurse, Emily to see if she would look at it. We went to Cooper's house, Emily looked at it and then everyone had a popsicle. Neta acted fine, but we kept an eye on it. Neta stayed and played at Emily's (Neta: "I don't want come with you!" and she liked being in Addie's crib) while I dropped of dry cleaning and went home to change.

After consulting again with Emily, when I came to pick Neta up, I decided not to take her to the doctor, who may or may not send me to get a stitch (there was a little tear on the inside of her lip, up where the gum and inner lip meet). I am keeping an eye on her two front teeth as her gums look banged up. I also consulted with Dr. Mom, who said I'd done something similar and that her doctor said that two year olds heal quickly and it's better not to put them through the trama.

Anyway, here is a picture at around 2:30, approximately 5 and 1/2 hours after the accident. This is just her lip and road rash chin. It looked a lot worse in person. I should get a picture of her gums and two front teeth, but that might make me queezy to look at (I was getting queezy at Emily's).


Eric and another friend who saw her, and knows about my other canal stroller incident both said that I should probably stay away from the canal. I think I might just put the kids in front of a movie and run on the treadmill. No water, no strollers and no concrete involved.

1 comment:

  1. Poor girl! I know you told me about it on the phone, but that's worse looking than what I saw in my mind's eye. But Mom's right--they do heal fast.

    ReplyDelete