Kids started Spring Break on Friday, which was the day I was supposed to start packing for our trip to Florida. Well, I didn't do much packing until about seven pm and I didn't get the last of the shopping or the library stop I wanted done either. Oh well.
Saturday the family participated in the neighborhood tree planting in the morning. I went faster than I thought, which was a good thing.
 |
Cutting off the burlap before digging a hole
placing and mulching the tree |
Eric was home by just after noon and we were out the door, on our way to our first stop (South Pittsburg, TN) by 3:30. We got to Tennessee by 10 pm, filled up with gas and then, because the Walkers have chicken pox and we do not yet want to expose the kids to it, we slept in a barn at the construction site of their new place. After scriptures, we went to bed, sleeping with the lights on for the first half of the night and then Eric turned it off. Kids slept just fine, but I think Eric and I had a more difficult time sleeping. We were both cold, so we brought Xela into sleep in our sleeping bag for heat. I was worried that the other three kids were cold, but in the morning they said they were fine. Nate and Neta shared a sleeping bag and we covered Graigry with blankets besides his sleeping bag and Aurora had an extra blanket in her sleeping bag.
It was a good place to crash without having to spring for a hotel room on the Sabbath. We went to church and then visited the Walkers across the lawn for a little while during lunch. We figured that if we were outside with space between us all, the virus couldn't as easily attack us.
We headed for Crystal River, Florida at about 5:30 Sunday evening. Eric and I tried to catch up on some sleep, but the kids could only be reverently, creatively quiet in a construction zone for so long. I let Eric sleep more than I did, figuring I could help keep the kids quiet while easing my need to know what they were doing in unfamiliar territory.
We drove through the night, Eric more than I. We stopped in Atlanta to see the temple.
Eric recieved his endowment in Atlanta before his mission. The gates were closed, so we tried a back way, which didn't get us any closer to the temple, but gave us a chance to get out and walk around and read our 34 verses before starting off for the longer leg of the trip. Eric took over driving in Atlanta as I was tired and was making some not so wise decisions while driving around the temple. Apparently, I can't complain about Eric's driving any more. There really wasn't anyone coming while I was sitting two lanes into the street, really.
We didn't stop for gas until after midnight, so it was Monday and we could make a commercial transaction (we did have to pay a toll on Sunday, which was unexpected, but it was to a machine, so does that make it better?). We got gas and then stopped at a rest stop to "sleep" for a little bit before I took over driving. We drove until about four o'clock and then stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast (and a VERY late dinner. I didn't plan very well and we just had snacks as kids got hungry.). It was very yummy food, more than we could eat, even after the kids did a really good job with their eggs, waffles, choice of bacon, sausage, ham and large glass of orange juice.
 |
Good morning Monday!
First real meal since Saturday night. |
We arrived in Crystal River at 7 am. Kids watched television while adults adjusted to a new day. Eric slept for a good portion of the day. At about ten, the kids went swimming.
 |
| Fun in the Sun on Spring Break |
 |
| Floating fun tanning her tongue |
 |
| Jumping and flipping at the deep end. |
They stayed in the pool until after three o'clock, minus the lunch break. Everyone had pink cheeks and were exhausted at dinner. Uncle John woke me up around six for dinner. I took a little nap on a towel in my swimsuit (as evidenced by my pink back). I woke up and it hurt to unbend my elbows as I had my arms tucked into me. I changed back into clothes and moved onto a shaded lawn chair, where I fell asleep after reading a bit. I remember looking at the clock at about three and then I closed my eyes. I was probably asleep for over two hours.
Nate and Neta fell asleep watching tv after swimming was done. We woke them up for dinner around 6:30 and then Neta went back to sleep. Nate made it through half of scriptures and zonked. The three oldest, Eric, Aunt Diane and I watched "The Muppets" and went to bed after that.
Eric and I didn't get out of bed until almost eight. The three youngest we already up and watching Disney channel. It took a bit to get the oldest girls up, but soon we were all up and functioning. With breakfast done, I went on a jog with Xela and Graigry. We got back, the kids played a game,
 |
| A quick game of Sorry. |
we helped Uncle John and Aunt Diane sort and split wood,
 |
| A ride to the wood pile with Aunt Diane |
 |
| Nate the Great Helper |
 |
| Graigry the Grand Wood Mover |
 |
Neta ready to help with great gloves.
We almost filled that wood box behind Nate. |
 |
| Splitting, sorting, stacking. |
then we had a quick lunch and went to see some Alpaca's. It was an Alpaca farm, Tall Pines Farm, that has, 29 alpacas (if I recall correctly). The kids got to feed them carrots and received kisses of gratitude from some of th alpacas in return. Here are a few photos from our visit.
 |
| The girlie Alpacas |
 |
Anxiously feeding Alpacas.
A few of them ate the carrots. |
 |
| "Do I trust all these little hands?" |
 |
| Kid crew in with the alpaca girlies. |
 |
| Petting Anabelle |
 |
| Anabelle thanking Neta with a kiss |
 |
Anabelle giving Nate a kiss.
He was excited to get FIVE kisses from the Alpacas.
Such a lady killer! |
 |
| She sat down & just let the kids pet her |
 |
Visiting the guys.
Xela ready to feed Hero |
 |
| Hero really liked the carrots |
 |
Kids didn't go in with the guys,
but they had fun feeding and watching them play
in the hose water. |
The kids now want a pet alpaca. Nevermind that you have to have at least two because they are pack animals and that we have no place to put them. The Ratcliff's, who own the farm, were very sweet with the kids and the animals. Several of the animals were rescued and nutured back to full health.
Once we got back "home" the kids got in their suits and spent two hours in the pool. Daddy and I got in and played a little keep away with the oldest two girls. Xela and I were on a team and Ro and Eric were on a team. Eric looks like he was in a fight with a three clawed cat, but I don't remember scratching him.
They are currently playing the Wii. We'll have dinner and then earlier bedtime as tomorrow we'll be getting up early for SEA WORLD! Last time, due to bad weather and postponed shows, Eric talked to the customer relations people and they gave us free tickets if we came back within one year. The year is almost up, so we're redeeming the tickets. Should be a fun day for the family of seven in their yellow caps and shirts.
No comments:
Post a Comment