Friday, September 18, 2015

Trip to Florida June 2015 - Tubing


Thursday - Whenever we head to the boat, we know it's going to be a good time. Well on Thursday, John took us a mile or so up the river, dropped us off in tubes and let us float back down to meet him. I obviously couldn't take a camera with me, so all the pictures are thanks to John.

We had some rope so that we could tie our tubes together and stay in a group, which sometimes we did and other times we didn't. I had told everyone to bathe in sunblock and wear a t-shirt. Xela did not want to wear a t-shirt; she wanted to get some sun. Ya, we'll see how that works. :)

This river is crystal clear and the temperature is a constant 72 degrees all year. We went swimming in it last year and have seen tubers before, but floating down was lots of fun. Occasionally one of the younger kids would get bored and want to be done, but then something would happen or be said and they were back in it again. We also played the occasional game of musical tubes. Other times we would not lazy river so much as be of assistance and do some kicking. I had an opportunity to work out a little after all the tubes, but I think one, were tied together and then I pulled them so we could get done "faster." My faster wasn't much faster, but I appreciated the momentary increased heart rate and getting in the water to cool off.

Everyone tied together and blissfully floating.
Even YOU can see the bottom of the river!
Someone wanted a little bit of space.
Please note that a game of musical tubes
has taken place. It was funny to watch
the exchanges while the participants
tried to NOT get ALL wet.
Nate is on the far left laying on his tummy
and paddling with his hands.
Another round of musical tubes and
Aurora is in the water.
Please note Xela's lack of a shirt.
Neta is in the tube that has a bottom in it.
Nate is in the largest tube.
Graigry seems to be
tube sitting Ro's abandoned device.
"Want to get in the boat?"
"Ummm...Not yet!"
Aurora and Xela are not in the water.
Not sure where Nate is.
When we finally met back up with Uncle John, we put tubes into the boat and climbed up to the restaurant there on the river to enjoy some shark bites, french fries and rootbeer. Then we loaded in the boat (after getting a few shells there on the riverbed and deflating the tubes a bit) and headed back to the dock. We were all tired and some of us were more red than others.

Now what did Mommy say about a t-shirt???
I know one person who is
NOT going to be comfy come bedtime.
Not sure what that face was saying. 
A little less than a mile from the slip, John's boat stopped working. It would only go in reverse (as I recall), when it started. I need to check my recollection with the kids (younger minds and better retention), but we had stopped briefly to look at and/or listen to something and then when John started to boat up again, the engine didn't sound and work correctly. I was feeling bad for him; after such an enjoyable afternoon and his constant willingness to share the boat with us, I hated to see the boat potentially out of commission, and if it was the engine, potentially the last ride.

We got the attention of another boat who towed us back to John's slip (begrudgingly as we had "flown" by him and disturbed his fishing). We were able to wiggle our way into the right spot, tied the boat up, unloaded and headed to the truck to head back to the house. I (and I'm sure the kids) were saying little silent prayers that the boat would be okay; that it would be a simple fix.

Upon arrival back at the house there was much of aloe rubbing and much less swimming for the rest of the afternoon. Xela had a painful time moving until we got back to Indy.

No comments:

Post a Comment