Monday we finally got to the mountains! We went to the hill in Big Cottonwood Canyon, where I went sledding as a kid. There was still snow on the ground, lots of it!. Some of us weren't so prepared to go climbing through the thigh high snow stack, but that didn't stop us.
 |
Pulling out of my parent's neighborhood looking toward our destination. |
 |
| We've arrived! |
Now instead of walking on a paved trail (where's the fun in that?), we climbed over a small hill to get closer to the little creek.
 |
Holding on to weeds as we make our way to the snow |
 |
Xela (red) and Graigry (blue) make their way to the creek. |
We get to the creek and there is a 'bridge" that the kids decide to cross.
 |
| Over the bridge we go |
Graigry crossed without any incident. I was a little nervous; it might look solid, but that doesn't mean it is, as Aurora found out as she stuck her foot all the way through and was able to see the creek flowing underneath. I wish I had video of that step. We were all glad she didn't go all the way through.
 |
Daddy decided to traverse the terrain on his hands and knees. |
 |
Xela getting ready to carefully tread where her siblings have tread before. |
 |
Neta with her cheerleaders in front of her. |
 |
All safely across the "bridge" Now on to hike the mountain |
We headed up, until Dad and I decided it was far enough. Neta stepped in Eric's foot prints and then I follow them as best I could.
 |
Notice the shoes. She went for comfort, not for purpose. |
 |
| Following father's footsteps |
The four of the five would have kept going. (Neta due to foot apparel, or lack thereof, was done before everyone else as her feet were getting cold). We found a tree to sit on and then let those that wanted to go up a bit more, go up while we watched.
 |
| "Climb every mountain!!" |
 |
Watching the others going up just a little more just so they could sled on their pockets back down. |
 |
| "I lost my shoe!" |
 |
| Graigry follows Nate back down the hill |
 |
| Xela in knee high snow |
Once we regrouped, the challenge became getting back down the mountain without falling. First, however, where there is snow, there will be snow balls, and where there are snowballs, there will be a snowball fight.
 |
| Xela "innocently" approaching |
 |
| "FIRE!!" |
 |
Neta again followed Eric; Photographer was always last. :) |
Once we safely made it down the mountain, there was one more throw down, mostly by daddy and then we packed back into the van and headed to the valley.
 |
| It's a Xela/Snow Sandwich |
 |
| And to drink, Ro on Ice |
Here are a couple of the scenery pictures as I enjoyed the view. I love the mountains!
Before heading back to the house, we went to see a sister missionary that served in our ward, Sis Camille Tua. She came out as part of her lunch break to say hello and give hugs. Neta was in love with her while she was in Indy and was very excited to see her again.
 |
| Kids with Sister Tua |
After that quick stop, we needed to grab lunch and the winner was Wendy's. We ordered some food and then as we finished, I don't remember what inspired it, but a decision was made that there should be arm wrestles. Eric set up the rotation and we went out at it.
 |
Nate oversees the first set of challenges |
 |
| Graigry not too big of an opponent for Daddy |
 |
| Xela & Daddy in the championship round |
Xela, Ro and I had to be at the airport by seven for an 8:45 flight, so after the late lunch, we headed back to the hotel to do a final accounting of our packing situation and we then headed back to Hibbert Headquarters and finished packing the checked suitcase.
We said bye to the remaining Scott crew, and when Grandma & Grandpa packed us in their van, it was about 6:30. We got checked in and were ready with just over an hour to spare, so using the free wifi at the airport, there was homework and journal writing and Facebook surfing to attend too.
 |
| Good bye mountains! |
Our plane didn't arrive in Indy until 4:00 am Indy time. Aaron Robinson came to pick us up and we got home around 5am. We had about 90 minutes to sleep before I had to take the girls to school and I had to be to work (yes, they skipped seminary that day). I was grateful to be in Noblesville where things weren't as quiet thereby making it easier to stay awake.
Upon return home, we found on the porch, this thing in a box, holding a card with Xela's name on it. Xela opened the card and, as you can read, was pretty excited.
 |
BB8 from the new Star Wars movie,
made out of a soccer ball, bowl & small easel |
Before I could really say anything, she had responded to Daniel King with a "yes." I texted Eric a picture and he was not at all happy about it (he hates the very idea behind prom ie "daughter auction"). Good thing I was home to greet this, and not him. We went to Kroger and bought some Marie Calendar pot pies, nuked them at home, and called that dinner. Ro fell asleep on the couch while she "studied." I think we were all in bed by 10:00 as there was seminary, school & work to attend to in the morning.
The other four got home on Wednesday afternoon (otherwise I would have done some sort of house fix up) before we three returned from school & work. I had told Eric that I wanted to get a BYU t-shirt or hoodie so the kids would have something to wear on their college spirit days at school and because I didn't have any apparel from my alma mater. At dinner Wednesday night, Eric pulled out a suitcase he purchased at Deseret Industries for $10. Inside it were t-shirts upon t-shirts and sweaters/hoodies upon hoodies all with some sort BYU something. WOW!! And all for about $50 (which includes the suitcase) at DI. I thought that was quite hilarious, and perfect!
Utah was a WONDERFUL spring break trip. There were memories made that I will treasure always. Being with my family and participating in General Conference is something that strengthened myself and my Scott family.
No comments:
Post a Comment