Sunday, May 15, 2016

Spring Break in Utah, part 2 - April 2 - 3

General Conference weekend is one of my favorites of the year. It was even more memorable spending it. literally, in the presence of the prophets and apostles. To be in the Conference Center and to have worries and prayers answered during those talks. It was a wonderfully wonderful weekend.

Saturday morning we watched from my parents home. As the congregational hymn was being sung, Eric asked Nate and Neta if they would like to attend a session of conference inside the Conference Center. Nate was a little confused because as far as he knew, there weren't extra tickets. When Eric told them that we had tickets if they wanted to use them, Nate's face was almost an expression of disbelief. I wish I'd had a camera.

It was decided that Neta and I would go to the Saturday afternoon session and Eric would take Nate to the Sunday afternoon session. Once the Saturday morning session ended, Neta threw on her dress, Mom dropped us off at Trax and we headed downtown.

Riding on Trax
(I think this is the best selfie I've ever taken)
My baby & me
at the Conference Center
We had great seats, write behind the media box, which was made a little more fun for me as I could see what was on the teleprompter. There was a buzz in the center as people were visiting and finding seats. Then, as soon as President Monson walked it, quiet, as everyone stood. I loved it!

Neta slept through almost the whole first half, waking up during the congregational hymn. After the session, we went through Temple Square in route to our Trax stop. I wanted to take her up to the Christus.
Neta striking a pose...
...then stopping to smell the flowers.
Temple Square is so beautiful during conference. The tulips were stunningly colorful (I like tulips) and the tree blossoms were magnificent. I loved it; made me smile just walking on the grounds.

 Saturday night, Graigry, Eric and Dad drove downtown with Neil and Grant. Eric had three tickets to Priesthood Session (the original reason for the trip) so it could be a generational priesthood trip on Graigry's first official priesthood session. After the session, all the boys (uncles and nephews) went to the Lion House for dinner, a semi-annual event.

The girls and my Mom and I watched priesthood session from the living room. Priesthood session is probably my favorite session and this time, it was definately was. President Uchtdorf's talk was an answer to some of my recent prayers/worries.

When they got home, Neil and Grant hung out a little and continued a conversation from the car for a while before heading to their homes. We gathered our troops, minus Xela and Ro who were sleeping at Hibbert Headquarters, and headed back to the hotel to sleep.

Sunday was another two sessions of conference. Nate and Eric were able to attend the last session of conference. Their seats were almost as good, just a little further right than our seats were.

Sunday night was a big family dinner at the Smarts' house. The whole crew, minus Patrice and her family, were there to eat and play.

Visiting with Grant, Steph (facing forward),
 Corey & Joe
(back of heads)
Moments away from the "Come and Get It" call
(after prayer of course)
The crowd gathers for prayer
(Smart kids in the background,
Neil holding Owen Wride,
Ethan Wride has the 'Y' shirt on)
Corey does a little finger dancing on Ro's flute
while the youngest file through the food line.
Neta and Abby hanging out on the front porch
Nate and Edmund on the trampoline.
(I thought I had video of them bouncing, but I can't find it)
No, they are not saying family prayer.
Uncle Matt & Aunt Bekkah are
leading a game of Avalon with the nieces,
nephews and Uncle Neil.
After the masses were fed, they went into the front yard and played a little Flies Up (at least that is what we called it back in the day). Even a couple of the fathers got into it. So fun to watch the cousins & uncles play together. Guess who catches the ball (while in the back of the crowd)???


After all kids and parents were herded to the front yard, we took an all cousin picture. It took a little bit of work, kind of like...
...herding cats.
And then hoping they stay in position...
...for at least...

...30 seconds.
We, well, I got a decent picture. With that  many kids, you've gotta click quickly and hope for the best. I wonder what everyone else got...

After the family photo, families started to disperse, the Scotts being one of the first. I took Eric and the three younger ones back to the hotel and then drove back to the parent's house for the Hibb Sibb "Late-Over." Neil originally wanted us to have a sleep over, but most decided a late-over would suffice, and we stayed L-A-T-E, like 2am before we had family prayer and went to the driveway. I felt bad for Neil who had a 45 minute drive home. Grant's drive was almost as bad, and they had work in the morning.

We chatted and looked through Dad's telescope while waiting for everyone showed up. We played, I don't know, ten or so rounds of spoons, which was SO MUCH FUN!! Mom was in with us, and Dad, not much of a game player, held Owen so Tiff could play. Neil and Grant were great at, I won't say cheating, but instead, creatively helping others get spoons once they had one in their hand.

Tiff was accused of "playing like Dad" (did I mention Dad doesn't much care for games). Tiff wasn't very competitive so would coordinate with Neil, who was sitting by her, to see what cards he wanted before cards started moving. She also didn't make much of an effort to grab a spoon, so we were tempted to play "Spoonserific" if it got to that point. I love laughing with my family and we did a lot of that.

Once we called that quits (at like 11:30pm), we pulled out the baby books and flipped through them. Grant looked through Patrice's because his book is still just a box of photos somewhere. Joys of being the youngest of a big family. :)

We eventually moved back to the living room to chat. Several times, Dad, who is likely to turn into a pumpkin anytime after about 10:30, asked to say family prayer so that he could go to bed. We would all fold our arms and then the conversation would continue and prayer would get delayed. Twenty minutes later, Dad would make the same request, we would prep and then get distracted. I think it was Neil or Grant that got us back on track and refocused on Dad's prayer mission. Dad smiled and said, "Nothing's changed in 40 years." We said prayer, Dad wished us all good night and then headed to his room. Mom, as usual, was up until the kids were ready to call it quits.

It was so good to visit with them. My usual self, I did more listening than talking, but I was able to learn certain things about my siblings that I never would have guessed in a million years! Struggles they've been through, trials they've faced and overcome. I learned, again, never judge a book by it's cover. If someone looks like they have the perfect life, wife, husband, kids, whatever, they don't. There are always things we do not see or know and we need never compare ourselves or judge them, because we just do not know.

I think it was about 2 or 2:30 am by the time cars started pulling out of the driveway. Eric had texted around one and I told him that I would stay at my folks house. I didn't know where my hotel key was and I would come get the crew in the morning. That's what I did. Xela and Ro were downstairs and I slept on the living room couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment