Thursday, September 22, 2016

August Outings - Camping Trip Aug 5-6

We haven't been camping for a couple of years and I decided that I wanted to go before all the kids went back to school. With said motivation, I took a half day on August 5, left at noon and we headed out around 2:30-3:30 (having the van packed upon my arrival didn't happen exactly as planned). We didn't leave as early as I had hoped but at least we weren't fighting five o'clock traffic.

We got to the campground and there were maybe two other people in the entire tent section. SWEET!! I;m all about uncrowded camping, especially when these sites are on top of each other. We were able to look around before picking one and then picked a site that was as secluded as they got. It was perfect! Woods in the back, tent to the side and no one was in this particular loop. We set up the tent and then the kids and I left to play at the beach. Lieber State Recreational Area is one of our favorite sites to camp (when it's not crowded and not pounding sun) because there are trails, nature center and our favorite amenity: a beach! We fish head to water whenever an opportunity presents itself. :)
Nate's sand creation
There's a rock buried under what looks like
it could be a head
We stayed about an hour, while Eric got a fire started (we should have asked if he wanted to go swim, but I figured he'd like some quiet time). We decided we were hungry, in addition to my nagging guilt, so we headed back to the site to cook hot diggity dogs (ie brawts), watermelon, chips and of course, s'mores for dessert. Cards were played during the cook and eat dining experience. Then after dinner, more fun was had:
Xela brought homework - FuN sTuFf!
I actually sat down and read a little;
that never happens!
After we ate some dinner, we played some "ultimate frisbee" with three then four people. At first Nate and I were just tossing it to each other and then Eric came over with Neta (later Ro) and we played ultimate frisbee as best we could with four - five people. it was fun, and sweat producing exercise in the humidity of Indiana. Eric and Nate (I think those were the teams) were winning/maybe won and then we switched up teams.
Getting in the groove with a frisbee
Run, Daddy! Run!!
As they say, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Well, Nate unintentionally volunteered as tribute. He was running to catch the frisbee and in his athleticness, he didn't see the fire pit the frisbee sailed over. This reached out, snagged his foot, bit his shin, and sent him rolling. Game over - leg and foot (and I'm guessing little wounded pride) to soothe.

The next morning, pancakes were on the menu for breakfast, then pack up and spend the rest of the morning swimming and kayaking. Xela and Eric kayaked while I hung out in the lake with the other four. After an hour or so, we got the rest of the kayaks out and headed back across the lake with Eric and Xela. Nate rides in the kayak with me, while Neta rides with Eric.

We crossed the lake to a cove that Eric and Xela didn't visit on their last trip across. Kids left their kayaks and played in the clay "beach" for a while. Xela collected some, I think they called it silt, so that she could bring it home and create something. They enjoyed themselves and then we had to head back. (Eric had to get back to Indy before 2:00 as there was a baptism to attend.)

We raced back across the lake, loser had to eat something nasty (I don't recall what it was and the kids aren't around to ask; they'd remember). My arms got a good workout, while Eric "raced" but intentionally arrived last. Wish I had some pictures, but the electronics I use to capture such events don't mix well with water (even though I'm sure I would have been very careful).

We loaded the kayaks and headed out of the park (Xela was driving; Eric sat up front). As we were leaving, there were LOTS of bikers heading in. (We stopped at the park office on the way out because Neta has a very small capacity bladder and were told that 100+ bikers were supposed to arrive. YIKES!)

Eric made the comment Friday night that, if the campground was going to be this empty the week before school started, we should make it a tradition to come camping. Note taken - consider it scheduled: the first weekend of August 2017. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment