Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Easter Egg Hunt

We do our Egg Hunt the Saturday before Easter so as to not, totally, distract from the true meaning of Easter. It is something the kids look forward to every year and thankfully, it has continued to be the tradition thanks to the annual Easter package that Grandparents Hibbert send.

April 19th was deemed egg hunt day. That morning, however, there was A LOT of work to be done at the properties that Eric is managing. We cleaned out the backyards of several properties and mowed and other spring yard cleaning things. The kids kept harassing me about, "Are we going to do the egg hunt?" "Dad says we can't have an egg hunt." "When will we be done so we can have the egg hunt?" I said if they worked hard (mind you they are getting paid for this work), we would get done sooner and have time for the egg hunt. That was a distraction and a re-focus help every so often.

We finally finished the yard work around 3:30 (Eric and I were done working outside in the sun too). Once we got home, I told the younger three that they had to be bathed before the hunt. They started baths while I divided candy into eggs and didn't mind not having play time in the tub (this is more so for Neta who always likes to play in the tub - usually because she's in the one that is bigger than the kiddie pool we have).

It was decided last year that your 12th year is your last year to participate as a hunter in the game of candy-filled hide and seek. Once in your 13th year, you get to play the part of the bunny and hide the eggs. So, Xela and Aurora were bunnies this year, which they thoroughly enjoyed, especially the part of hiding Graigry's eggs, which they made quite challenging.

I divided up the candy equally between the three remaining hunters so there were the same number of eggs for each child to find. Graigry now being the oldest seeker also became the victim of having his eggs hid in harder places, which both Aurora and Xela wanted to be a part of. Therefore, they split Graigry's spoils in half and then one took Neta's eggs and the other took Nate's eggs to hide in the backyard. The seekers were told to hang out upstairs until such time as the bunnies had hidden the eggs.

Finally, TIME TO HUNT!
"Whatz up Rabbits? Where'r the eggs?"
The eggs were all over the backyard. Xela and Aurora had made themselves cheat sheets in attempts to remember where they'd hidden each item. As with last year, this year there was an egg that one the game of hide and seek, remaining hidden after the hunt was over. The following are pictures Xela took of the search to devour adventure.
Hiding eggs inside and buried.
How fair is that?
"I FOUND ONE!"
That face says, "Why can't I find my eggs?"
"It's got to be in here!"
"I KNEW IT! Ridiculous Easter Rabbits!"
In the vacant bird's nest in the garage.
Didn't I say the bunnies went hard on Graigry.
"How many do I have left to find??"
Looking high...
...looking low.
Hiding in the shadows.
I wonder if that's the never to be found again egg.
"It's got to be in here somewhere!"
Thanks, as always, to Grandparents Hibbert who send the egg hunt goodies. This is a tradition that the kids look forward too every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment