Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Neta's 7th birthday - Almost 7 miles on June 7

Saturday, June 7 was Neta's birthday and it was a busy day. She, of course, had been counting down the days for two weeks. We had a full day planned, with even more things that we didn't get to do that I had wanted too, but such in life.

Her birthday festivities started out with setting up the tent in the backyard on Friday night and sleeping in there. Neta wanted to wake up, on her birthday, in the tent. It almost didn't happen because Eric and I went out on a date, but we got home while it was still light when we got back so we put it up. That made Neta happy. (Sleeping in the tent, without an air mattress - because the stupid rabbit chewed a massive hole in it - led to a not very sleep filled night.)

Sleeping outside has the advantage of early morning light, so we were all up right around seven. Eric made smoothies while I helped find t-shirts of matching color for everyone. (This is even more of a challenge because all our clothes have been in bags since Memorial Day with the deep clean.) I finally found yellow colored shirts for each of us, we had smoothies outside, got out our bikes, put them in the van and headed off to the Mayor's 6th Annual bike ride.

I have been looking forward to this ride since last year's registration and us not going because of the rain. Neta was excited that she was going to be able to ride her bike, not realizing what 10 miles really meant. The Mayor's bike ride was about 10 miles and she is on a small bike; I was being optimistic thinking she could do it all, granted, at a slower pace than her older siblings.

So we got to the YMCA Indy Bike Hub downtown, the start of the ride, just after nine o'clock. The ride didn't officially start until 10, so we had some time to kill.
Scott yellow crew waiting for the official start.
Neta playing on the bikes at the YMCA
Indy Bike Hub before the Mayor's Bike Ride
The kids had fun "riding" the bikes of the bike share program. I got my tires pumped up and a free fix on the rubbing of my tire, brake pad and gear shifters. I got the tired pumped and then Eric reminded me of the rubbing back tire, so Bicycle Garage Indy, a co-sponsor of the event, had a tent and they performed the aforementioned minor repairs. That made me happy!

The ride started off Market Street and went up Delaware. There were officers blocking traffic from the side and back of the ride. I told Eric I would hang with Neta because, although we started out together, I knew she would tire faster adn the big kids would not want to "walk" their bikes at her speed. We may have gotten a mile and the big kids and Eric went on a head. Neta was going pretty well, considering her bike size, and we weren't the very end of the ride for about another mile and a half.

There was a stopping point at around the five mile mark and I wanted her to get at least to that point. Then she could rest a little and maybe keep going. I kept a positive attitude and Neta did pretty good as well. I would tell her what a good job she was doing. "Do you think you have a turbo boost in you?" She would say no sometimes and then go ahead and pump her legs and get a head of me for a minute or two.

I knew she was going to need some caloric motivation so I had put two water bottles and some Tootsie rolls in my backpack. I got a pink Tootsie roll, unwrapped it and asked Neta if she thought she could ride close enough to me that I could pop it in her mouth. "NO!" she said while smiling with that - Are you crazy, Mom? - tone of voice. She ended up getting it when I told her the wrong turn and she tripped up a little and therefore was off her bike and could get it.

I must have told her we were almost there (to the 5 mile mark) because she said that I kept saying that. After maybe 3 miles it was just us, an IFD biker and two police cars behind us, I knew I needed to find an alternate plan for the last five miles. I asked the IFD officer if maybe Neta could ride the last 5 miles in an officer's car. he didn't know, so he asked an IMPD bike rider, who also didn't know, so he asked a patrol car officer, who said that would be fine. Once the IFD officer got word, he let me know and I asked Neta if she wanted to ride in a police car and she was all excited about it.

When we finally got to the Monon, she hopped off her bike, I gave her a water bottle and she was ready to get in the car. I put total trust into the officers, because I didn't even walk her to the car, she just went with the water bottle, the two riding officers asked if I was ready to go, I said yes, and we were off.

When I found Eric, he asked where Neta was and I said that she was in an officer's car and would meet us back at the Hub. Eric stayed with the boys and I went up with Xela and Aurora. It was nice to ride and a decent speed for the last five miles. We were heading south on East Street when I saw a gray officer's car and there was Neta's head looking out from the back seat. I called Eric, who was behind us with Graigry and Nate, to tell him where I saw Neta, but I couldn't remember the cross street on East, so he and the boys could wave to her.

Xela, Ro and I got back to the Hub by 11 o'clock, got off our bikes and then walked back East on Market Street to wait for the boys so we could cheer them on. It took about 5-10 minutes but soon we saw them, and Neta was with them pedaling. Obviously Eric had picked her up for the last mile and she was pedaling just fine and dandy (rest in a cool police car helps to reinvigorate the muscles).

We got back to the hub and saw Mayor Ballard greeting a few people as the final ones came back. The boys wanted to meet the mayor, so Eric made sure they did.

Scott Cyclists with Mayor Ballard
Graigry even shook his hand, and was pretty excited about it.

We got some water, potty break and then walked the bikes to the van. Xela and Aurora wanted to ride home, so I rode with them. I miss being on my bike and spending time with the kids, so this was nearly the perfect morning activity to start off a birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment