Friday, July 31, 2009

All Creatures Small and Smaller

Yesterday afternoon, we had an interesting looking visitor on our porch. Graigry found it first and we all had to stop and look at it. I'd never seen a moth like that up close, so I took a picture (and to show Eric when he got home, in case it had moved, which it hadn't). Kind of pretty for a moth.It reminded me of the other visitors we've had the last two years, that I have pictures of.

Last year, in the crook of the down spout at the missionaries' house, a robin built her nest and had baby birds. It was fun to watch them grow, see her feed them and sad to see the nest empty. It's still there; I probably should knock it down.


Also, last year, we had one of the biggest spiders I've ever seen, make a home in our backyard. The kids' neglected "playhouse" along with parts of the porch and a toy kitchen where the supports for the web. She was big and beautiful. Her scientific name is: Argiope aurantia. When we found her, even the missionaries came and took pictures of her. If I remember right, the kids named her Bubblebee because of her colors.



Just two weeks ago, as we got in the car to take Eric to work, a falcon was sitting on the laundry line. Not something you see every day. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but it's not worth showing, unfortunately.

It's fun to watch nature happening around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment