Friday, July 31, 2009

First Week of School

My kids are in what the school calls, an extended year calendar. They started on the 27th and are finishing their first week. This year is new because Graigry started kindergarten.

In the chaos of the first morning, I forgot to take the used to be traditional first day of school picture, so I took one of him at his desk with my Blackberry. Not the greatest quality, but I got a picture. He looks so cute and grown up in his school uniform.

The first day was only a half day, so everyone got out at 11:30. That day was also an orientation day for teachers with their parents and, not wanting to drive home to just turn around and come back at one o'clock, I packed lunches for kids (including our neighbor Calvin, who is in Xela's grade) and we spent an hour at Ellenberger Park eating and getting dirty. You'd think they would have taken advantage of the playground equipment, run around and burn off some of that sat-in-a-desk pent up energy, but only Nate and Neta enjoyed time on the slides. Eveyone else, well, you can see in the pictures. I had to swat the dirt off some dirty butts before we loaded up to go back to the school.


Graigry seems to be enjoying kindergarten and is especially excited about his chart, which, if he fills up five more squares, he will get a prize!!! It's all about the prizes, of course. I'm excited for him to fine tune his writing skills, although I fear it will also be frustrating as well, for both parties (one party being myself). We'll just take it week by week, day by day.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't dirt amazing. Kids just love it. We're thinking of making a sandbox in our backyard so Jayden will have something to do outside. Dirt, of course, is JT's enemy, so he has to be completely sold on the idea.

    Graigry does look all grown up!

    ReplyDelete