Saturday, July 18, 2009

Girls Night Out

The title might make you think I went hanging out with some of my girl friends and I guess that's true, except that the majority were 18 and younger. I spent my Friday night at our Stake's Girls Camp: dinner, program, fireside, Bishop's corner, slide show and then a midnight swim. It was FUN!

Eric got home from two nights away and ten minutes later I left him with homemade pizza, six hungry kids and I was out the door. I didn't get home until 2:30 in the morning.

It was great to get out of the house and away from kids (I love them really) and feel the testimony, spirit and power of the young women of our stake. I hope I can be the kind of mom that helps produce/direct my girls to be like some of the girls I saw last night.

It was also good to laugh with the young women at our priesthood leaders as they willingly subjected themselves to singing Princess Pat in front of everyone. Here they are in all their girl camp glory. Our stake president is the tall dark haired one on the right. Please note the little tiaras on their heads. One bishop is on the hairless side so the girls used a touch of duck tape to get the tiara to stay on.



The midnight swim was very enjoyable. Even though it was chilly outside, the water was warm and it was great to swim in something deeper than four feet. I can't remember the last time I did that. They had a diving board, that didn't bounce, and again, it was something I haven't done since I was the young women's age at Cottonwood Heights Spa days. I played chicken with three of the girls from our ward, did the washing machine and shot water guns with the girls. Loads of watery goodness.

As I drove home, at 2 am, I was about to turn on the radio to have something to listen too, but then, with no one on the roads, it was kind of nice to enjoy the quietness of it all. Coming "down from the mountain" so to speak back to my reality and being able to ponder things said, my own testimony and relationship with Heavenly Father and my Savior and other seemingly important facts of life. I recommend trying to find quiet time and not just before bed (because then the pondering leads to sleeping and less effective pondering). It was great last night, but I won't be able to take 2 am drives every day, so I need to find a different quiet time in reality, that will allow me to feed my spirit. It's too easy to become physically and spiritually drained when the demands of life are thrown at you on a minute to minute basis.

Anyway, enough of that. Just wanted to jot some thoughts down as this as for all intents and purposes become my journal.

1 comment:

  1. Girls camp is great, no matter how old you are it seems. Memories from Butler 11th ward.... I'm glad you had fun. We need to get together this week!

    ReplyDelete