Monday, September 8, 2014

Oopps! He did it again!

We had not as yet, had the time or taken the time to fix the hole in the roof that the fire department had placed in the duplex, with some sun finally shining down on us, we went to as a family to Home Depot to purchase supplies.

Because the cashier was incompetent and couldn't figure out how to ring up what, the kids of course were getting a little ansy and obnoxious. There was a lumber cart just five feet away from the register, so he took the kids there and told them to sit and wait. Well, that didn't work so well.

Graigry sat on one of the cross bars and, probably because they were goofing off, fell backwards and hit his head on the concrete floor approximately 2 - 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Eric and I hear the crack, run to the cart. Graigry is laying on his side. We gently roll him on this back. There is a giant goose egg on this left temple and this vacant, look of death, on his face. After about a minute of Eric loudly talking to him, "Graigry! Get up! Graigry squeeze my hand! Graigry! Sit up!" Graigry blinks and starts to cry saying his head hurts.

That was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Looking over your child, who looks like he's dead. Not a good site. We leave our stuff at Home Depot, get Graigry upright with help and Eric next to him to steady him, and get in the van. Eric drove as quickly as he could to Community Hospital East while I sat in the back holding Graigry. Graigry couldn't remember how he'd got into the van, but complained that just me lightly touching his head really hurt. I asked him standard questions, like what's your name, when's your birthday, what school do you go to, what grade are you in, any kind of simple question I could think of that would have an obvious answer. He got them all right, but he didn't stop complaining about his head.

We got to Community East, Eric stopped by the ER, got out of the car, got Graigry and rushed in. I took Nate and Neta, who had been with us, and went back to Home Depot to get our stuff. Neta was crying in the back and Nate had a very worried look on his face.
Playing games on my laptop.
The cashier asked how he was and I told her that he was going to have a CAT scan. I was a little annoyed at that clerk. I asked Nate and Neta to hold on to the cart and neither of them wanted to touch a cart. We checked out, loaded the trailer and headed home, waiting for updates from Eric.

Longer story, shortened, Graigry had cracked his skull in two places and because of age, it would heal over time, but Community East called Riley Children's Hospital to verify. Riley wanted to see him, so Graigry got to ride in an ambulance to Riley (which he remembers that I had said earlier - during a bike rodeo where we toured an ambulance - that I didn't want to see him in an ambulance). At Riley, they gave him some morphine so he would sleep.

I got to Riley around six. Matt Dunahee had come to assist Eric in giving Graigry a blessing, so he was there. Graigry woke up around 6:30, the neuro-surgeon came in and asked Graigry some simple questions, three of them addition questions. It took Graigry a few minutes to figure them out, longer than it would have before breaking his head, but he got the first one right, the second one he was off by one and the third he totally missed. I saw Eric's face just fall. It was then that the doctor decided to keep Graigry overnight for monitoring.

Eric eventually went home to be with the kids and I spent the night at Riley. It took a while for Graigry to decide he was tired enough to fall asleep (around 11pm), but we both eventually did.

Passing time Sunday morning,
waiting to get the clear to leave.

Sunday morning was ward conference, one of the reasons I told Eric it was better if he was home so he could attend the ward council and bishopric meetings. Graigry ordered breakfast, watched a little television and we both played games on my computer. We got the clear to leave and about 30 minutes later, Graigry threw up. Doctor decided to wait a little longer.

Eric got there around 11. The Brauns were going to take the four other kids to their house, give them lunch and then she texted asking if it was okay for her to make us some dinner. We have a good ward. We were discharged around 1 o'clock, with instructions to keep both of Graigry's feet on the ground for the next four weeks: no swimming, no jumping, no climbing, no biking for the rest of the summer.

When we got home, Matt and his son Mason Dunahee were at our house so that Graigry and I could have the sacrament. That was only the second time that I'd had the sacrament in my home. It was a pretty cool experience; helps you realize the importance of the ordinance, and not just go through the motions like we too often do while in church.

Alison Robinson also brought over some dinner for us. We ate hers Sunday night and saved Sis. Brauns for Monday. Graigry took a good nap and spent the next two nights on the mattress downstairs. We didn't want to take a chance on him slipping or tripping on the stairs. Keeping him on the ground is going to be so much (not) fun for all of us. :)

Obviously that weekend roof repair job didn't turn out as expected or desired. We ended up completing the job on Memorial Day. That Monday morning, Steve and Kay Hardy, friends from the ward, brought Graigry a special treat...
Dairy Queen
ice cream cake
plus a huge bag of Smarties
(next time he'll be smarter than mess around on the cart).
We thought that was pretty cool, no pun intended. We shared the cake with them, followed them to their house to borrow an air compressor and then got the duplex roof patched. Finally.

1 comment:

  1. I remember we were with mom when she got the text about this. I hadn't read the whole story until now, so glad Graigry is okay!

    ReplyDelete