Sunday, December 20, 2015

Cub Scout Raingutter Regata - August 27

  We'd not done a Raingutter Regata, so we figured we should and the boys got pretty excited to do it. The ward had the set up and Sister Shipley had the boats so we spent two den meetings building the boats and the end of August was the Regatta.

"BLOW! BLOW!"
Gavin and Nate blowing a regatta, getting their lungs ready.
"Ready.. Set....Blow!"
One of the races
Nate getting his third place award.
Gavin Turner with the first place
Nate had a hard time, winning third place (out of three boys). He didn't win the pinewood derby in June and this was just a little too much for him to take (Nate reacts to things with a lot of emotion). He went into the van and cried. I tried to talk to him, but that didn't help. Brother Shipley tried and didn't do much better. Matt Dunahee went over a little while later and was able to get him a little bit more out of his funk.

I don't know if we'll do another one. I can't take the emotional breakdowns of my kid. Part of the cool thing about Nate is that he is emotional, but he needs to learn how to control them and direct them appropriately. Something we can work on over the next couple years. At least I know that he likes Cub Scouts, even if the Rain Gutter Regatta was a little hard to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment